Bessy and Milk-Bone® ~ Thursday, August 27, 2026

All Creation in the Blink of an Eye

for Ian and Katie and Miles

As if everything were made up, I wake
left to fall asleep in a dry bathtub
left in case, ready to lose my cookies

Creation in the blink of an eye, rake
red leaves in October, wake up in bed
each moment somewhere else, under a shrub
as time becomes unfixed, sit in Nookies
to eat breakfast before work on Sunday
in the blink of an eye, I feel well fed
on my plate, an empty skillet, I ate
nothing but The Mediterranean

in the blink of an eye, I wake up late
nothing but scat at Subterranean

the eye no one can see, sees all decay
heaven help me, I wake up, what is real
everyone appears strange, The Twilight Zone

Blink twice if you know the truth in a lie
lift me up and put me to bed, I steal
intelligence, walk a mile in my shoes
nothing but Hanging on the Telephone
kindness is the hardest life for a spy

organized crime in Chicago, the files
fill one exabyte storage drive, the Blues

answer the Blackhawks on the ice, practice
nothing but running changes everything

Ever since I could run again, the price
yes, of sacrifice, dead-end job, the sting
everyone feels, but at Fleet Feet, Miles Smiles

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ideology and Strife ~ Sunday, March 30, 2025

Report from the Besieged City ~ Friday, December 26, 2025

Nothing Changes ~ Saturday, December 27, 2025